5 Tips to Find a Construction Job When You Have No Idea What You’re Doing
Stuck in a job that isn’t you? Ready for a career change, but have no idea what else you could do – or where to start? With such high demand for talented construction professionals, there’s never been a better time to jump into the construction industry. Here are 5 tips to find the in-demand career you’ve been looking for.
- Make a Plan Figure out what type of position you’re interested in. Do you have leadership experience from a previous job? Do you want to lead others out on a jobsite? Or do you enjoy getting your hands dirty, getting the job done every day. If you’re not sure, don’t worry! There’s lots of room for growth from one construction position to another.
- Look for on-the-job training programs. If you’re worried you’re not qualified for a job in construction…stop worrying! The best companies offer on-the-job training programs. It’s just like going to school, but instead of you paying for an education – the company is paying you to learn!
- Add a License or Certificate. Do you have your CDL license? Many times you can make more money if you already have your CDL, allowing you to drive the big company trucks. If not, ask if the construction company you’re applying to will pay for you to get this license. There are numerous professional certifications that can be used to complement formal degrees, or alternatively, they can be used to demonstrate technical proficiency and compensate for a lack of degree in some cases. Their requirements and benefits differ, but finding one or more to add to your professional development skill set can be an effective tool for getting ahead in the job market.
- Start from the Bottom. One of the best ways to get a great idea of how a construction site operates is to find a general construction labor position. These positions perform basic construction tasks, installation and material handling and will provide you invaluable experience and introductions to high-level construction professional from whom you can learn a lot.
- Look for people, not for jobs. Focus on connecting with people and look for companies who have systems and programs in place to grow and advance the careers of the people that work there. A company that cares about their people will offer great benefits and perks too.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Kinzler Construction Services has dedicated, bilingual, employee-owners ready to give you the technical training and professional skills you need.
We’re hiring general labor and leadership positions at our locations in Iowa, Minnesota, Colorado and Texas. Careers at Kinzler are full-time and year-round, with overtime available during peak season. You’ll receive our full benefits package after just 90 days! Learn more and apply now!